The more years you spend programming the more you run into situations you’ve run into before. Situations you now know, instinctively, how to address. I suppose this is “experience” and is what I’m paid the medium dollars for. One such problem I’ve solved at least a dozen times over the years is updating a bunch of data in a database from an external source. This, as it turns out, can be a great source of poor performance if you don’t know how to address it. Let’s dig into my approach.
Sometimes good things happen to bad people and sometimes bad things happen to good people. I’ll let you decide which one me developing a PHP application is. Maybe it is a bit of a mixture. This particular PHP app was a bit long in the tooth (what PHP app isn’t) and ran on full VMs. My first operation was was to get it running inside a docker container because I couldn’t be sure that my Windows development environment would be representative of production, then I wanted to be able to debug it. This is the story of how to do that.
I’m a big fan of Azure DevOps and also of Terraform. I use the Terraform tasks to run deployments of infrastructure in a DevOps pipeline. Today my old reliable build broke because of a change to the version of Terraform.
You’ll likely encounter early bound types when developing workflows, plugins or anything else which calls the Dynamics 365 SDK. These are basically generated classes which come from Dynamics. You can generate them using the CrmSvcUtil.exe. If you’ve ever done anything with T4 templates you can think of them as that or a really poor substitute for F# type providers.
MiniKube is a Kubernetes distribution designed to make running a single node Kubernetes cluster easy for local development. However MiniKube relies on docker which relies on you having a Professional version of Windows on your laptop. If you don’t have that then it is really easy to stand up an Azure VM which can run MiniKube.
Dynamics 365 is a low code solution for a variety of different businesses offered by Microsoft. It is a fully hosted solution which means that you don’t really get access to the underlying database. That’s a good thing (less to manage) but also a bad thing (hard to work with for power users).
In this post we’ll look at how to manipulate records in the CRM using some powershell.
When it was announced the Roslyn would become the default compiler for C# in Visual Studio I was super excited. I felt like it would generate all sorts of domain specific languages, custom flavors of C#, tons of custom error providers. So here we are 5 years later and almost none of it has come to pass. Why not?
I’ve been on a bit of an Azure Functions kick over the last little while. I’ve blogged a bunch on Durable Functions and deployed a bunch more. When you’re as old as me then you tend to draw comparisons between new technologies and existing ones. For instance I’m constantly telling people about how web pages are a lot like the cave paintings I use to do in my youth.
The technology that draws the closest comparison I’ve seen to Durable Functions are NServiceBus Sagas. A few weeks ago I tweeted out wondering if any body had done a comparison. The good folks at Particular stepped up and answered.
In a previous article I talked about how to authenticate your function application against Azure Active Directory Business to Consumer (which we’re going to call B2C for the sake of my fingers). Chances are in your function you’re going to want to get some of the information which is available as a claim from the bearer token. Here is how to do it.
I have a durable functions project which orchestrates several thousand function calls the purpose of which is to scrape and load a bunch of data. It is scheduled to run once a day but one of my concerns was that I didn’t want to accidentally run to functions at the same time. They would duplicate a bunch of the data loading and, at least until the function ran again, chaos would reign. I’m not a huge fan of chaos reigning so I set out to find a way around this.